Web Usability: It's All About the User
Getting users to visit your website can be daunting, so once you have successfully accomplished that feat you want them to stay for a while. Web users are an incredibly impatient lot, so when they enter your website, they want to be able to determine two things right off the bat: your site’s purpose and its relevance to their needs.
Don’t take users on an Easter egg hunt, making them search every nook and cranny to find what they’re looking for. Because if they can’t find what they want it in a click or two, chances are they’ll go elsewhere.
A user-friendly website is also one that has smooth-flowing navigation and a well-planned layout. It takes usability pros like ours, who have experience with site architecture and visual communications to make your site less like a maze and more like a straight path from A to B.
Once you’ve identified who your users are and why they’re coming to your site, it’s important to find the answers to these questions:
- Learn-ability: How easy is it for users to get to basic info the first time they come to your site?
- Efficiency: Once users become familiar with your site, how easily can they get around?
- Memorability: When users return to your site, how quickly can they get back in the groove?
- Few Errors: How many errors do users make and how easily can they recover from the errors?
- Satisfaction: How pleasant is it to use the design and get around?
Minimum usability factors
Although we take dozens of website usability factors into consideration when we develop a site, here’s a list of some usability “must haves”:
- A website that’s easy to navigate.
- Consistent logo and headers throughout site.
- A clear Unique Selling Proposition (USP) on the homepage, with copy that explains what you do.
- Fast loading pages
- Scannable content: web users don’t usually read paragraphs, they scan bullets and headlines.
- Readable content: Is the font size large enough? Is there enough contrast between your content and the background to make it easy to read?
We create beautiful websites that work. It’s not enough to have a website that “looks good” – it has to also function well. Our team of experienced web programmers, graphic designers, web marketers and content writers work together to create websites that are focused on usability, functionality and conversions.
Have questions about how we can help enhance the usability of your website or create a brand new website focused on usability? Contact us today!